5.03.2012

Engagement.



Recently, I've been asked a lot about engagement sessions. What? Why? When? Where?

Why? is most frequently asked question.. so I thought I'd take a few minutes to talk about "e-sessions."

What is an e-session? Well, as you've probably guessed, at any point after a couple becomes engaged a photo session can be scheduled to show their love for each other.

When? Well, this varies greatly! As soon as your photographer is available or as late as after your wedding! Yep, you read that right! While, I typically like to shoot an engagement session after the couple has started to plan their wedding, within a year of their wedding, anytime is suitable for the session! Some couples miss out and do it after their wedding, but that's not a common practice.


Where? As with all of my photo sessions, I like this to be tailored to my couple. I can recommend a few places that I like to shoot, but depending on the couples style and their wedding theme I try to tailor it around that! Maybe a trip to where you were engaged? Maybe incorporate the city or location you are getting married? Maybe where you first met or your first home? The options are endless!

Now, why? "Why do we need an engagement session?" This is the most common question at wedding consultations! I include an engagement session with every wedding package that I offer. Is it mandatory? Nope, but why wouldn't you want to do it? I could go on and on about engagement sessions and why I love them, but this if for your newly engaged couples! Simply put, I love LOVE. Shooting an engagement session reminds me why I love what I do. And without an engagement session I will chat with the bride a few times prior to the wedding day. I might see the groom once, at the consultation but sometimes it's the bride and her mom/sister/etc. So .. why should you go ahead with the e-session?


First, you'll want to really get to know me, as I will you. This is the perfect time. I get to see what photos you love.. and which ones you don't like so much. I can see how you interact with each other. How do you show your love.. Soft kisses on the forehead? Laughing with each other? Or are you calm and shy? These two hours and more than you'll ever get together on your wedding day. Once I learn how you interact, I can use our 30+minutes together on your big day and make the most! You both will be totally comfortable in front of the camera and easily guided into poses. This is the most important reason. You want fabulous wedding photos and the best way to get those is to practice beforehand with no time restraint!

Second, for you these photos can be used for save-the-dates, to display at the wedding, use on favors, invitations, table numbers, guestbook, signing mat, etc. This is a great way for you to be more creative with your photos! These possibilities are endless! I used our engagement photos for our guestbook, favors, save the dates/christmas cards and for display at our reception. Now I have a beautiful book with our photos and the well-wishes from our wedding guests.

(From Billy&Laura Love's Wedding)

Last, this wedding process is going to fly by.. faster than you could have ever dreamed. Take an afternoon and fall in love with your fiancĂ© all over again. These memories will last forever, and you'll be so thankful you did. 


So dive in, and have fun! That's what this life is all about anyway! 

The engagement photos shown are from a super fun e-session last month with Haley& Justin! They are getting married in July & I can hardly wait for their big day!!
-Amanda :)

No comments:

Post a Comment